Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Untamed : House of Night Book #4 by PC and Kristin Cast - Book Review


Don't ask me why I keep reading these books, because I don't know myself.

This book was a definite improvement though. I do not know what has gotten into the authors all of a sudden, but they've started editing. This book also had more formal language, suited to a book, and fewer words like 'hee hee', 'haa haa' and brackets. I get why this book was such a pleasant surprise after reading all the other House of Nights. It made sense! I may even have liked it.

Of late, all my reviews are turning into rants. I will try not to go too much into depth about Zoey's horridness in this one, and stick to what I liked instead. I shall restrict myself to one paragraph about Zoey.

Zoey, unfortunately, continued to be rude, selfish, hypocritical and annoying. She was very impolite to all her elders. She chastised the people who did not speak respectfully to the priestesses and nuns, while herself being informal and rude to them. She faulted Erik and Heath for doing the things she had done to them in the past. I could not tell if she called Aphrodite all the mean things sarcastically, or if she actually meant them. But either way, it did not paint a very good image of her. She considered herself above others because she was favoured by the Goddess, and used it to her advantage. It was annoying how all her faults were forgiven just because she is the protagonist. She told her friend that a dear fledgeling had "died in her arms". It had been more like she had seen a stranger fledgeling dying and then taken him into her arms and kissed him and made a big deal out of it. She acted like she had a "special connection" with all the guy vampires or fledgelings she had her eyes on so that nobody else would try to make a move on them. Despite all her flaws, she probably did realise that everyone else had a better chance of getting those guys than she did.

Now on to the good things.

There was definite character improvement in Aphrodite, the Twins, Erik and Heath. Aphrodite changed from annoying and unlike the snob she was supposed to be, into how the authors were actually trying to portray her. She tried to hold up her bad reputation by acting mean but she was actually friendly and helpful to Zoey. The Twins finally started saying something other than 'ditto' and 'fiiiine' and seemed more sensible. Erik and Heath only felt sane because they finally realised the worthlessness of Zoey. They also seemed to get some personality and characteristics other than being in love with Zoey.

The writing style got better. The sentences started making sense and didn't feel as repetitive as they had in the other books. The plot was nice too. It started from the beginning and continued till the end. This book also wasn't as slow as the others. 

I was disappointed to see that there are so many House of Night books. If there were one or two more, I would have been motivated to finish the series. But there are some twelve books, so most likely the story that has started right now will stretch over a few more books (if not all) and it sounds tedious to read eight more books of a series I did not even like too much. I thought I had read a lot of these, but turns out I have only finished four.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Atlas Six : The Atlas #1 by Olivie Blake - Book Review (No spoilers)

Summary : The Alexandrian Society is the foremost secret society of magical academicians in the world. Each decade, only the six most unique...