Friday, November 20, 2020

The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer - Book Review (No spoilers)


I think by now everyone has heard about the infamous Twilight series. I had received so many conflicting reviews about these books that I couldn't wait to get started to see if I liked them or not, and once I finished, I'll admit I was satisfied with what I read.

For the most part, I'm not into romance. And thankfully no scene in this series was very graphic or disturbing, which contributed towards making it a good, light and fun series to read.

It follows Bella Swan, a seventeen-year-old girl, who moves into her dad's house in the rainy town of Forks, Washington. There she meets the mysterious Cullen family and also her father's friend's son, Jacob Black. 

The story itself didn't pick up until much later into the first book, but I supposed they are called Romance Fantasies for a reason. The beginning wasn't too boring though- we got to know about Bella's life, and then the development of her relationship with Edward Cullen. The next books contained more of the story (for which I was glad) and I personally found the last book the best.

A big issue people have with this book is how Edward immediately fell in love with Bella without even getting to know her and why he even noticed her in the first place, when there were so many other evidently prettier girls going to the same school for years. This didn't bother me quite so much, since so many books have the concept of love at first sight, and the author did write about how their casual friendship turned into a dedicated relationship for Bella, which made it more believable.

Bella was depicted as a weak-minded, clumsy, and not-so-independent protagonist. She would often blindly trust and believe people when they told her anything, and took rash decisions without thinking them through. It started to get a little annoying when Edward became the boss of Bella and started telling her what to do and what not to do and she followed every instruction of his- him being a great old vampire.

Overall, I feel that the good parts of the story more than made up for the bad parts. There were never any boring or dull bits in the series which I might have felt like skimming through or skipping. The author has always kept the story going in some form or the other, even making Bella's clumsiness a cause for humour at times.

2 comments:

The Atlas Six : The Atlas #1 by Olivie Blake - Book Review (No spoilers)

Summary : The Alexandrian Society is the foremost secret society of magical academicians in the world. Each decade, only the six most unique...